Scandalous Grace Band

Please consider supporting CSN by supporting our advertisers!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Resting on the Wind
I'm singing this older song of mine on Friday at the funeral of a dear saint...she asked me 22 years ago to sing this at her memorial...I had hoped I would go first..oh well, Father knows best!   made this new track...opinions welcome (before Friday if possible)...thanks, Dan

http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=13540939

Resting on the Wind
words and music Dan Simmons

Here I am again O Lord finding doubt inside of me
I know You’re calling me to more than I ever thought that I could be
Deep within there’s this longing Lord to know Your heart and do Your will
But I need power Lord to stay the coarse, strength to climb this hill

I wanna rise to meet the morning sun
Give of my heart ‘til the race is run
I wanna flow like a river once again
Fly like an eagle... when he’s resting on the wind

Give me strength to rise O Lord, above the clouds of doubt and fear
Give me joy, give my spirit song, hold me close, draw me near
I need help to see beyond the darkened veil that’s holding me
Let me rise up on the wings of faith, set my spirit free

Cause I wanna rise to meet the morning sun

I wanna soar to the highest place
Following You seeking Your face

I wanna rise to meet the morning sun

They that wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength 
And rise upon the wings as eagles...

They're resting ...On the wind
And rise upon the wings as eagles...

And rise...resting on the wind
"you are what you are because you do what you do because of what you believe"
                            www. soundclick.com/firesong
Dan, this is really good! love the chord changes you have here. words are very inspiring and truth inspired.

your mix and instruments are usually where I have comments for you and I'll already say that I know you are using what you have and I understand that. but I'm still going to comment just to encourage you to think about it.

it sounds like this is all instrumentation from your keyboard, I'd encourage you to reach out to others and try to get some collaborators to help with instruments you can't play (such as the acoustic guitar). Yamaha's strummed guitars are pretty good, but they're still very sterile when used in a song.

the drums aren't strong in the snare, toms or cymbals, but the kick is too strong - it has a "rumble" to it that I normally would only like to hear in the toms, not the kick.

the verb on your vox is washing out your voice, IMO. I'd back that way down.

song structure and your vocal and instrumental playing performances are excellent! great work!
(03-10-2017, 06:28 PM)Beagle Wrote: Dan, this is really good!  love the chord changes you have here.  words are very inspiring and truth inspired.

your mix and instruments are usually where I have comments for you and I'll already say that I know you are using what you have and I understand that.  but I'm still going to comment just to encourage you to think about it.

it sounds like this is all instrumentation from your keyboard, I'd encourage you to reach out to others and try to get some collaborators to help with instruments you can't play (such as the acoustic guitar).  Yamaha's strummed guitars are pretty good, but they're still very sterile when used in a song.

the drums aren't strong in the snare, toms or cymbals, but the kick is too strong - it has a "rumble" to it that I normally would only like to hear in the toms, not the kick.

the verb on your vox is washing out your voice, IMO.  I'd back that way down.  

song structure and your vocal and instrumental playing performances are excellent!  great work!

Beagle...thanks for the input...I appreciate the comments...I do have to work with what I have and unfortunately that's just me...I write so much that if I had to wait on other musicians I know I probably would not write at all...plus I can't afford studio guys...

Surprisingly all of the guitars (acoustic, bass and steel) on this track are real guitars played by real players (Nashville session guys) from Band in a Box software...the quality of the loops could be better...but Brent Mason (CMA winner) is  actually playing on one of the acoustic tracks...Yamaha is good but not that good...I also used BiaB drummer (real guy) though the Tyros has much better drummers (human drummers not machines) and more programmable...I write about a song a week so I like to get a decent (?) demo done so I can move on...at that rate I can't wait long so the Tyros 5 and BiaB are really great tools for 'rabbit' songwriters like me...

The reverb is cause I hate the sound of my own voice...' a little bit of sugar helps the medicine go down'  they say...but you're right, if I were mixing anyone else I would not sweeten it so much...so keep preaching brother I hear you Heart

Thanks again
Dan
Dan - I love BIAB, I use it for backing tracks at church for times when I don't have other musicians with me. I have actually also used Bret Mason acoustic in some of my backing tracks!

BIAB is much better than just the Yamaha, but it does still have a sound that's too "repeated" if you know what I mean.

usually BIAB drums are quite good, I'm not sure why this mix then would sound like it does to me. maybe look at tweaking the drums some on the Real Drum styles or maybe just in the mix. IDK>

yes, most people who don't like the sound of their own recorded voice tend to add to much verb. that's usually most of us!

Love you brother! God bless!
Hello Dan,
This is a great song. You've set a good tempo so the listener is can take everything in. Your lyrics are so well intertwined keeping the theme of this flight of freedom that can be given through God. Great imagery throughout the song and they all tie together. Hey , I really like your voice, it commands my attention when I listen to it and your voice compliments this song very well. So keep up the good work! Thanks for sharing this song it is a blessing to hear it! God bless you Brother!

Jordan
"A healthy Spiritual walk with God leads you down a Natural Path of worship."
(03-13-2017, 07:06 AM)JordanC Wrote: Hello Dan,
   This is a great song. You've set a good tempo so the listener is can take everything in. Your lyrics are so well intertwined keeping the theme of this flight of freedom that can be given through God. Great imagery throughout the song and they all tie together. Hey , I really like your voice, it commands my attention when I listen to it and your voice compliments this song very well. So keep up the good work! Thanks for sharing this song it is a blessing to hear it! God bless you Brother!

Jordan

Jordan thank you so much for your gracious comments...they are very encouraging and I appreciate them...Dan