Whetstone

Please consider supporting CSN by supporting our advertisers!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lord, Jesus
Another new song from Scandalous Grace!

Beagle: lead vox, piano, drum programming, mix
Mike Hansen: BGVs, Bass, Electric Rhythm, Electric Lead
Sean Peifer: BGVs, Elec Rhythm Guitars

All comments are welcome!

https://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/lord-jesus

Verse 1
Who is Light and Life?
Who is exalted high?
Allelujah! Allelujah!

Chorus
You are Great and Grace, Lord Jesus!
You are Righteousness, Lord Jesus!
Healer, Ruler, Savior, Lord Jesus!
You are King of Kings, Lord Jesus!

Verse 2
Who is there for us?
Who is scandalous?

Allelujah! Allelujah!

Chorus

Allelujah! Allelujah!

Bridge

Chorus

Allelujah! Allelujah! Allelujah! Allelujah!
Beagle,
Interesting song...I love the melody and style and of course the message is right on, except and I'm going to get myself in trouble here.  It's the word "scandalous"  and I know that the word is in your group's name and I think I know what you mean.  Do you mean shocking or out of the ordinary or what?  

The word is not of a good connotation by definition.  Webster defines it as:  libelous, defamatory; offensive to propriety or morality :  shocking.  It's synonyms are abhorrent, abominable, appalling, awful, disgusting, distasteful, dreadful, evil, foul, fulsome, gross, hideous, horrendous, horrible, horrid, loathsome, nasty, nauseating, nauseous, noisome, noxious, obnoxious, obscene, odious, rancid, repellent (also repellant), repugnant, repulsive, revolting, offensive, shocking, sickening and ugly according to the Merriam-Webster dictionary.  Surely you do not mean any of those things?   

Please forgive me I do not mean to be offensive.  This is a soapbox of mine.  I taught English and studied semantics in school and word meanings are some of the most powerful forces on earth.  Authors, poets, speech writers and songwriters need to measure their words and  their meanings very closely.  Every now and again pop culture gets to make it's mark by redefining great words (ie the word 'awesome' that has been destroyed by our culture almost primarily by youth pastors, everything's not awesome in fact only God is truly awesome and commands both "fear and reverence" anyway..

just a thought
Dan
"you are what you are because you do what you do because of what you believe"
                            www. soundclick.com/firesong
Hey Dan,

I am not going to speak for Reece on his use of the word scandalous in these song lyrics, I will let him tackle that one, as the writer.

I do want to comment on our band name however.  I am actually surprised that no one has mentioned it after several years.

When the 3 of us got together, actually 5 originally, but 2 dropped out, we started writing songs and recording as a team, just to see how this partnership would work out.  As we got 3-4 songs recorded, we realized that we probably needed to call ourselves something, a band name.  Up until this time, we were going by CBand….Christian Band, I presume, as that is what Reece had named our personal forum site.

As a group, we start to just brainstorm on ideas.  We opened a Thread to list name ideas we would come up with.  Some were quite humorous, as we all have quirky senses of humor.  At some point, I threw out the name Scandalous Grace.

I had visited Lake Point Baptist Church in Mesquite, a satellite branch of a very huge church in Rockwall, Texas.  That Sunday the message was on…”The Scandal of Grace”.  Of course, the thought that immediately went through my head as a musician… what an interesting band name that would make.  The teaching pastor’s message was basically, that the idea of Grace in the time of Jesus, went against every traditional idea of the time.  The idea was almost scandalous.  So scandalous, that the plot had already developed to kill Jesus.  Again, that’s an extremely summarized version of a 35 minute sermon.

When I presented the name, we were a little unsure of what the reaction might be.  However, Sean, who is the Pastor in our group, said that he kind of liked it, and added this statement, which I kept…. “Scandal comes from the Greek word meaning “the trigger on a trap.” Many rejected Christ because of their pride.  Pride is a trap.  We cannot come to Christ unless we let go of our pride.  Grace is scandalous because it causes many to stumble due to their pride.”

We voted on 3 names and Scandalous Grace it was.
(03-08-2017, 07:16 PM)firesong Wrote: Beagle,
Interesting song...I love the melody and style and of course the message is right on, except and I'm going to get myself in trouble here.  It's the word "scandalous"  and I know that the word is in your group's name and I think I know what you mean.  Do you mean shocking or out of the ordinary or what?  

The word is not of a good connotation by definition.  Webster defines it as:  libelous, defamatory; offensive to propriety or morality :  shocking.  It's synonyms are abhorrent, abominable, appalling, awful, disgusting, distasteful, dreadful, evil, foul, fulsome, gross, hideous, horrendous, horrible, horrid, loathsome, nasty, nauseating, nauseous, noisome, noxious, obnoxious, obscene, odious, rancid, repellent (also repellant), repugnant, repulsive, revolting, offensive, shocking, sickening and ugly according to the Merriam-Webster dictionary.  Surely you do not mean any of those things?   

Please forgive me I do not mean to be offensive.  This is a soapbox of mine.  I taught English and studied semantics in school and word meanings are some of the most powerful forces on earth.  Authors, poets, speech writers and songwriters need to measure their words and  their meanings very closely.  Every now and again pop culture gets to make it's mark by redefining great words (ie the word 'awesome' that has been destroyed by our culture almost primarily by youth pastors, everything's not awesome in fact only God is truly awesome and commands both "fear and reverence" anyway..

just a thought
Dan

Hey Dan, so glad you listened and liked the melody and style and "most" of the message. Smile I am not offended or upset in any way with your problem with the word "scandalous" as I use it to describe Jesus.  firstly, I welcome all comments and suggestions regardless of whether decide to act on them or not, I absolutely welcome your comments.

In fact - you've been hard on me in the past and it really helped carry me along in my songwriting!  it was early in my "songwriting" and I have always appreciated your honesty.  please don't ever change that honesty with me.  always say what's on your mind, even if it's uncomfortable!

having said that, I don't plan to change the word.  yes, "scandal" is associated with those synonyms you've listed and it's very definition is defamatory, libelous, offensive, etc.

I do agree also with you that pop culture has destroyed powerful words in our language such as "awesome" which was never meant to be used flippantly.  but it's not just recent "pop culture" which has changed the face or our language.  it's been going on since the beginning of the roots of our language (and all languages) and they all evolve over time, like it or not.  "ain't" didn't used to be in the dictionary and I'd get corrected in school every time for that word.  but it's a part of our society now (even though I still don't say it!).  Can you believe "unfriend" is now part of the Oxford Dictionary?

regardless, back to why I used the word:  Grace of God is scandalous.  He was considered a heretic and a liar and everything about His presence on the earth 2000 years ago was "scandalous."  It did not represent the cultural "norm" and so it was looked upon with disdain and contempt. He brought that scandal to our culture, our society to show us what wretched souls we had become.  and the grace He gives us from this blessed intervention is so scandalous in comparison to what our society thinks that it's downright repellent to them (us)!

Hillsong United came out with a quite popular song recently called "Scandal of Grace"  if you haven't heard it, you can hear it here:  https://youtu.be/LASyD0ASRfI
yes, you could also argue that even in Christian music that pop culture drives our society, but it's not a new concept to call the grace of Jesus, or His ministry itself "scandalous."

so, I don't plan on changing the word, but I do hope you understand a little more where I'm coming from in using it.  But I also again want you to understand that just because I'm not changing the word that I absolutely do NOT wish for you to hold back your honesty with me ever!  I enjoy it and I welcome it!

thanks Dan!
we've made a revision to the mix. we've added some unison voices to the verses to help give them some beef, but still left the lead vocals at the low octave to give it the desired contrast between them and the prechorus/chorus.

made a few other adjustments to the mix.

all crits still welcome!
Nice work - I'd most likely eliminate the 4-count prior to the chorus, though.
I am a damp hamster, a small moist rodent with a pea-sized brain... so what do I know?! 

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default....ID=1243220

First impression: I don't have a problem with the word "scandalous" though I don't think it fits in the context of this song. If you want to talk about scandal, the song should be a bit more gritty. Scandalous can't just be thrown in there because it makes a good rhyme.
Think Michael Card.
This is just an example:
Who do you think you are?
Coming in here promising to heal their scars?
Where do think this is?
Did you really expect us to greet you with a kiss?
What do you think you're going to accomplish here?
Do you really think we're all gonna quake in fear?
Why do you come to this place?
Talking about mercy, forgiveness & grace.
How much longer do you think
we're going to take this?
Just watch my friend, & wait for the kiss.

Pre-chorus
You come into this holy temple of ours
making threats, but can you follow up on them?
Threatening to tear down our temple and
rebuild it in three days
Just wait

Chorus
Cause this is scandalous, the way you throw our culture away
Do you really think that you'll escape
We are vigilant, we don't back down
Do you really think anyone's gonna give you a crown
Talking about kingdoms, trying to throw your weight around

Who do you think you are?
Don't you know it's the Sabbath day
Where do you think you're going?
Don't you know someday it'll be your own blood flowing
What do you think your fate is?
Don't you know someday you'll be betrayed by a kiss?
Why do you act like we don't know who you are?
Do we not know your mother & your father?
How you speak with such confidence?
Don't you know our pursuit will be relentless?
Just watch my friend & wait for the kiss.
(03-20-2017, 08:49 AM)damp hamster Wrote: Nice work - I'd most likely eliminate the 4-count prior to the chorus, though.

thank you, wet one!  I appreciate your taking the time to listen and appreciate the nice comments and suggestion!