April Audio

Please consider supporting CSN by supporting our advertisers!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Original Song: The Hammer & The Nail
Video 
Hello all,

This is my first song posting on these forums. It's a song I wrote called The Hammer & The Nail. I was inspired by an old Sam Cooke and the Soulstirrers song, which talks about actually being there at the crucifixion. The style is different, but the lyrics are in that vein.

Incidentally, I need to warn that if you listen to other songs of mine, "Not Noah" has the S-word in the chorus. I've read the Forum Rules, and I'm not supposed to post that song here for that reason. So, if you stumble onto it, I wouldn't want you to be surprised.

Anyhow, I hope you enjoy this. Feedback most welcome!  Smile

Hello and welcome Smile

Well it is good! I would say for this song, the only thing I found could be improve is the female voice. I believe her voice is too much in the background (not loud enough).
I really appreciated the entrance of the violin, it is play beautifully!

I also have listening "Blessed be your name". I really like what you have done with the harmonies in the chorus. Sounds good Smile
Good job (y)
Thanks, Ameilhie! My wife had veto powers on the mixing of the harmonies. I always like harmonies to be quite up front, but she likes them more in the background. She won. Wink

And I will tell her what you said about the violin playing.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.
I actually love the level of the harmony.  I think it compliments the subtly and intimacy of the song. It adds to the emotion (as does the video, which is excellent) where if the harmony was more up front, I think it would be too "folksy".  Just a thought as I listened to the song....what if you would introduce a plucked violin to compliment the guitar in the 2nd verse. I think it would make the song progress a bit. It sounds a bit the same throughout. Not a criticism, but just a thought. Great job on the song!

Tony
Another thought I had...and this is coming from someone who can't sing very well....is that the vocal performance seems to lose a bit of the emotion by the phrasing being so structured. Perhaps varying it a bit...if that makes any sense. Again, just opinions and suggestions. Keep or sweep as you see fit.

Tony
Tony, thanks for your feedback. I'll have a look at the phrase structure. We're performing it on Sunday, which will be its first "live" test. That should give me some insights.

Thanks so much for listening!

John
(09-02-2016, 08:40 PM)faith101 Wrote: Tony, thanks for your feedback. I'll have a look at the phrase structure. We're performing it on Sunday, which will be its first "live" test. That should give me some insights.

Thanks so much for listening!

John

I hope it goes well! You guys sound fantastic. Real nice blend.
This was very beautiful.  I agree with Tony, a very intimate song giving me lots of time for reflection.  I didn't lose interest at all during the song and really enjoyed it when the violin was added in.
I've got to believe this was very well received on Sunday.
Nice job to you both.
Skip
"The words I have spoken to you are spirit and life" John 6:63
Hello John,
Thanks for posting this song! I was quite impressed with both the creativity of the song and the recorded performance. I will be sure too look at some of you other posted material. God bless!

Jordan
"A healthy Spiritual walk with God leads you down a Natural Path of worship."