Whetstone

Please consider supporting CSN by supporting our advertisers!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is the Gospel in your Gospel Music?
I've written before about songwriting that can be a little mushy when comes to being clear about the basic tenets of faith.  Sometimes I (we) am too vague in presenting a clear description of God's character and Christ's Grace.  Being spiritual instead of Godly.

Where are you lyrics?  Are they clearly pointing to the God of the Bible?  Is this always necessary?  Do we have to have theology in every song?
Thanks and God Bless!

Michael Owen Bowling
Hello Michael,
this is a very good topic of discussion. For myself, I write everything from songs that help with memorizing scripture too the struggles of life we share in common. I will mention Jesus in some of my songs but not all. I always have a reference to God in my songs and looking at it from a Christian perspective you can discern that my influence is Biblical. I have convictions that keep me from wandering from my Faith based writings and I know that God's Holy Spirit will guide and gently correct me when I've stepped outside any boundaries that are acceptable to God.
I'm a music artist who happens to be a Christian. So my influence will be reflected in my work and will reflect the depth of my relationship I have with God. God has given us a wonderful privilege with the gift of writing song and I want to use it in a way that will best honor Him and be too the good of mankind. Thanks for posting this, God bless!

Jordan
"A healthy Spiritual walk with God leads you down a Natural Path of worship."
Much like Jordan, I write many types of songs, not all Christian, most in more of a "cross over" style. It would be impossible to cross over, if everything with in the song was hardcore Christian.
(08-12-2016, 07:42 AM)JordanC Wrote: Hello Michael,
  this is a very good topic of discussion. For myself, I write everything from songs that help with memorizing scripture too the struggles of life we share in common. I will mention Jesus in some of my songs but not all. I always have a reference to God in my songs and looking at it from a Christian perspective you can discern that my influence is Biblical. I have convictions that keep me from wandering from my Faith based writings and I know that God's Holy Spirit will guide and gently correct me when I've stepped outside any boundaries that are acceptable to God.
  I'm a music artist who happens to be a Christian. So my influence will be reflected in my work and will reflect the depth of my relationship I have with God. God has given us a wonderful privilege with the gift of writing song and I want to use it in a way that will best honor Him and be too the good of mankind. Thanks for posting this, God bless!

Jordan

Thanks Jordan.  Good stuff
Thanks and God Bless!

Michael Owen Bowling
I try to keep "Gospel Music" out of my gospel inspired songs. I'm more of a fan and write in a "modern Worship" style. Been playing Hillsong in church since before they were cool. Though a fan of country and southern roots inspired music...It doesn't reflect in my writing.
Interesting topic!
Personaly I am not talking directly about God in all the song I am making. But I am making almost everytime parallels to God. For exemple I like some fantasy piece like CS Lewis and Tolkiens: I love to compose on tolkiens poem, & when I do it's metaphoric, speaking about God. The last music I made spoke about the passage in the Bible "and Jesus wept". Here also I am not talking directly about Him, but there is a clear message in the song (even if I am not singing the word "Jesus", or "cross"). I think there is multiple way to make music, art: everybody has a particular call. I think the more important is to create what God put in your heart to do (it's the easiest way for me), working with discernment-
(sorry for the imperfect english)
Great question,

Blessed new year Michael.

Among other verses,
Psalm 119:11, 40:3 are good references in answering this question.

I do songs, genre-praise and worship, the calling greatly matters and above all, the burden to write songs that can draw the hearts of men to God, The songs have to be embedded in the gospel of the cross. These are the only guarantee that the songs can draw souls to the owner.

Psalm 40:3 says,
“And he hath put a new song in my mouth, even praise unto our God......."

Psalm 119:11
"I have hidden your word in my heart
that I might not sin against you"

When writing songs, it's good to have the word in one's heart, making references to the word of God, otherwise I may "sin against God" in writing. One need not to quote the bible exactly as it is yet it has to be the principle in writing christian songs.

Victor.
Doesn't your intended audience sort of determine the message, feeling, fun, sadness, purpose or persuasions of your song? A fun lighthearted toe tapping story song maybe with some humor and in line with the teachings of Jesus may be better for a bluegrass crowd at the county fair more so than a Sunday morning of praise and worship at the local mega-church. (And there are likely saints and sinners in both crowds.)
Gregory L
Psalm 32