Whetstone

Please consider supporting CSN by supporting our advertisers!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
tally
OK, everyone, I am resorting to a tally Tongue How many of you actually know how to use YouTube? How many of you know how to use Facebook? How many of you know how to use Spotify? How many of you know someone who knows how to use any of the above? How many of you haven't done any of these yet because you don't have time? How many of you have a PRO & know how to use it? How many of you are willing to ask Greg questions that may seem dumb to you? How many of you understand publishing, & how in the world your PRO can tell you that you have to own at least 200% of a song to register it?
YouTube should have at least 12 views for each song on the album. After all, there are at least 12 of us involved, correct? I'm just sayin'. My computer will only let me account for one view. I'll check again on Thursday to see how it's going.
Eeyore or Thomas, whichever you prefer, signing out! Big Grin
rowr!

Big Grin
Was that a lion or a small house cat? Or do those letters actually stand for something?
Yes!

Wink
(08-02-2016, 03:00 PM)ShannonB Wrote: OK, everyone, I am resorting to a tally Tongue How many of you actually know how to use YouTube? How many of you know how to use Facebook? How many of you know how to use Spotify? How many of you know someone who knows how to use any of the above? How many of you haven't done any of these yet because you don't have time? How many of you have a PRO & know how to use it? How many of you are willing to ask Greg questions that may seem dumb to you? How many of you understand publishing, & how in the world your PRO can tell you that you have to own at least 200% of a song to register it?
YouTube should have at least 12 views for each song on the album. After all, there are at least 12 of us involved, correct? I'm just sayin'. My computer will only let me account for one view. I'll check again on Thursday to see how it's going.
Eeyore or Thomas, whichever you prefer, signing out! Big Grin
Hey Shannon, no the question(s) are not stupid...I've been bamboozled by Google Analytics, and YouTube stuff for over a year now.  As best as I can figure it out, the only way  people make money off of YouTube Videos, is through forms of Affiliate Marketing.  AdSense and like that.  Someone or a company has to get legal permission from you to run their ads (Google/YouTube or CD Baby etc supposedly handle all this for their fees) and you get click hits payments for everyone that sees the ad and goes there to buy something, while watching your video and you get some tiny piece of it.
Just because someone gets a zillion views doesn't mean you're making money, all it does it create traffic to wherever your product is actually being sold from. So the trick is to develop a system that gets people who see your video to go to your store or retail outlet and buy the product from there.  
As to the "Pro's" thing.  they monitor as best they can actual sales, but their system is way out of date as it's based on the old school traditional means of collecting revenue. (Jike Box play counts, paper publishing of lyrics/music, and store outlet sales records. Since everybody is now selling from their own sites, or from Amazon or whoever, it isn't always the best way to make certain your getting paid for usage. (Piracy)  If I understood better maybe I'd be able to do better.  But it's a very weird system.
That's why Linda & I took the plunge with 2ndFork as they are doing the actual tracking of this project.  I trust them.  Greg and company have been way more than fair to all of us.  A traditional publishing/distribution operation might bite off anywhere from 50% to 75% of the gross revenues.
Like you I welcome Greg or anyone else that has really worked with these systems to help me as well as everyone else get a better handle on all this.  
By working with 2ndFork I hope to accomplish at least that so future projects are better distributed.  For us this is like the 1st year in college so to speak.  All we can do is wait and see what the "Reports" say when we all begin to receive our royalties.  then maybe I'll actually be able to make sense of all that Google Analytics nonsense that they keep dishing out for everyone.
ASCAP (and I think BMI as well) are actively lobbying Congress for a whole new "ReWrite" of the Copyright Laws as they just don't provide any teeth for the artist/songwriter's protection anymore in this digital world.
So yes, answers are welcome.  Even answers to questions we haven't thought of yet.  

Peace!

Marty & Linda   Cool Angel
Probably not the answer you want to hear, but a decent picture of sales and views isn't available to be shown to you until November 10th. (That's the reporting date for the previous quarter.)
Just a heads up for you Greg.
The other day Linda and I went trolling through the different online stores where Iron and Oak is supposed to be publishing. Could not find anything at all on CD Baby (don't remember if they were on 2nd Fork's list or not) Target also could not find anything. Looked by genre, name of record label, and title of works...nothing at all, and we were thorough went through around 25 to 30 separate pages. Did not use the SRC (?) numbers cause weren't sure if that would bring up a title.
AMAZON however, was awesome. Just typed in the title and BOOM! right there pictures and song list bada boom.
I remember you said that some of the outlets were going to do curator stuff which would take time before distribution started, but still...I expected better from the more established online/store front operations like Target.
Maybe I'm just impatient (I'm sure we all are) but I had this last year with our Chtristmas CD when we published and paid for CD Baby's Licensing promotion. CD was waaaayyyy down the list, and hard to pull up by name, artist and so on.
As I said in previous post, that's why we are this time working with 2nd Fork as you folks have been thorough and good to all of us.
Just wanted to let you know the current status from where we are sitting. If I did something wrong with our search let me know so I can go back and re check. Hey 2nd Fork put it's hard work into this too, so I thought you might need to know the above to make sure these outlets aren't just blowing off you folks as well.

Peace!

Marty & Linda