Beaglesound

Please consider supporting CSN by supporting our advertisers!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A couple of annoucements, and some thoughts on promotion.
Secondfork Records is changing its web address and email to 2ndfork.com.  Less to type, better branding but the entity behind it will legally remain Secondfork Records.  The new site is up. My personal email is greg.ball@2ndfork.com. The old site and email goes down about mid august.

One thing that I never wanted to do was to take any traffic away or attention from CSN.  And I still don't. It's time now though to move some of the public conversation about the Whetstone album to the Facebook page "Whetstone - Iron And Oak" for promotional purposes, and also so that other people can comment on it when it comes out.   You might see a message if you do a search on it to the effect that it has 1000 people or so interested in it - but that's only because of facebook weirdness in connecting it with classified ads or other topics related to iron and oak.  I surely don't mind, but we need to put some content out there to take advantage of any such "accidents".

Really, just do the normal facebook thing. Like it, post on its wall, etc.  My suggestion is to talk about your experiences with the project, about the songs you wrote, songs you like, etc.  Waiting for it to come out - Just basically being yourselves as you are here but avoid business discussion and for sure don't neglect your time here!  Post some picture if you want, put up lyrics…make it your/our own. Go ahead and like it - share it with your friends if you want. 

------------

If you don't use Twitter don't worry.   If you do, you can use it to follow @2ndfork.  Its purpose basically, is that because of its short length people in the industry have a higher tolerance for using it to keep track of what others are doing.  As a record label that limits what we say, and being strategic in whom else we interact with, 2ndfork gets some industry followers.   And 2ndfork will use it to posting a link to the album there when the time comes.
Greg,
I have found the facebook page & liked it. There was no one there so far. I scrolled down a little and found your question for Graham, but the two did not seem connected to each other at all. So, you'll let us know how & when we should promote, right? I have a couple of the songs on my YouTube already. I put them there right about the time all this was starting. Is it necessary for me to take them down temporarily, or should I keep them up as promotion for the CD? It's not like my YouTube gets much attention, but I need to know when & if I should use it to promote. Should I use e-mail in the meantime, or just wait until July 31? Just clarifying before I go crazy Smile
Thanks.
According to our agreement with 2ndfork, we're not supposed to have the songs published anywhere else during the wait out period which will end a month from the release date.
Greg - is this the correct hashtag?

#WhetstoneIronandOak
Yeah, I just wasn't thinking of FB & YouTube as being published. (Yes this is where the rest of you go, "Duh!" When I think of publishing, I think of actively seeking someone to publish your stuff, like you pay them & they work hard for you. I know Greg is working hard for us, but it's not costing us anything up front (which is freakin' awesome, if you ask me!). But as I said, I put two of the songs on YouTube before the agreements started, & seriously, I got 72 views on one K& 56 on the other the day I put it up, & after that nothing. I'm not being negative, just saying I don't think 72 views will take anything away from anyone. I might pull it down anyway if I can get a YouTube video up for a different song unrelated to the project. Then I won't be doing much until after September, unless Greg gives us specific instructions, like, "tell everybody you know to check us out on Spotify!"
(07-15-2016, 12:56 PM)gdball Wrote: Secondfork Records is changing its web address and email to 2ndfork.com.  Less to type, better branding but the entity behind it will legally remain Secondfork Records.  The new site is up. My personal email is greg.ball@2ndfork.com. The old site and email goes down about mid august.

One thing that I never wanted to do was to take any traffic away or attention from CSN.  And I still don't. It's time now though to move some of the public conversation about the Whetstone album to the Facebook page "Whetstone - Iron And Oak" for promotional purposes, and also so that other people can comment on it when it comes out.   You might see a message if you do a search on it to the effect that it has 1000 people or so interested in it - but that's only because of facebook weirdness in connecting it with classified ads or other topics related to iron and oak.  I surely don't mind, but we need to put some content out there to take advantage of any such "accidents".

Really, just do the normal facebook thing. Like it, post on its wall, etc.  My suggestion is to talk about your experiences with the project, about the songs you wrote, songs you like, etc.  Waiting for it to come out - Just basically being yourselves as you are here but avoid business discussion and for sure don't neglect your time here!  Post some picture if you want, put up lyrics…make it your/our own. Go ahead and like it - share it with your friends if you want. 

------------

If you don't use Twitter don't worry.   If you do, you can use it to follow @2ndfork.  Its purpose basically, is that because of its short length people in the industry have a higher tolerance for using it to keep track of what others are doing.  As a record label that limits what we say, and being strategic in whom else we interact with, 2ndfork gets some industry followers.   And 2ndfork will use it to posting a link to the album there when the time comes.

Just so I'm clear...you're saying I cannot have a version of our submission to Iron & Oak on YouTube?  Is that correct?

Marty & Linda.   Cool  Angel
(07-15-2016, 12:56 PM)gdball Wrote: Secondfork Records is changing its web address and email to 2ndfork.com.  Less to type, better branding but the entity behind it will legally remain Secondfork Records.  The new site is up. My personal email is greg.ball@2ndfork.com. The old site and email goes down about mid august.

------------

Hey Greg,
It's probably nothing, but there's a question I have that I sent you in a P.M. that I need to get an answer about before release date.  Has to do with YouTube and CD Baby.  Rather than waste bandwidth on this thread I sent it to you P.M.  Please read and get back to me so I can take care of my due diligence?   Thanks.  Marty & Linda.   Cool Angel

------------

Greg, just sent you a P.M regarding some b.s. from CD Baby re: sync licensing.  I'm trying real hard to make certain their's no issues regarding the "Wait Period" stipulation in the agreement, and am not sure CD Baby is playing fair.  Please check the PM and get back to me?  I do not want to screw this up for everyone because CD Baby wants to get in Bed with YouTube.