Whetstone

Please consider supporting CSN by supporting our advertisers!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Release Candidates are UP
Not perfected; not famous
Neighbors, writers and artists
Daring, heating, shaping
As iron sharpens iron

These release candidates __ARE__ for your approval at the following link given below. First some housekeeping, and if you can bear it a few thoughts. Then comes the link. Smile 

HOUSEKEEPING:  Steve, if you want to give me a new mix of "Lord of Glory", that is cool. But need it soon.  And "Savior" may soon have a different vocalist according to Damp's pleasure and preference.  You both have as much time as the rest of the paper work takes. Smile

WHETSTONE ALBUM CLOTHING:  Some are available at zazzle.com, just go there and search for "Whetstone Album". You also get to preview the album cover. 

THOUGHTS: More than anything else, I think this album has been about taking stock of readiness. In no way do I think any less of anyone based on where they are in this journey. I salute you at the beginning or in the briars if it feels that way. If anything, I honor you more. This is the hard work/faithful part. Times when you wonder if there is a piece of art inside the stone, or if you're just beating on a rock. I hope you are gentle and careful with the unique artist or writer that is being exposed. 

At the same time I hope it helps clear away anything false, because we all have peculiar ways of looking at ourselves - especially when it comes to our own music. The most important questions of this project are (IMO) what do you intend to do with that information? 

I don't mind if you listen to the result and blame or impune my abilities Smile  And I think that artists should never expect to like their work in the long run - its a sign that they are growing as artists.  

But I also think that we should not despise or underestimate any of it.  For me at least, God never seems to use the words or actions that I thought were so important. He always chooses to use ones I barely remember. In those times I am made acutely aware that there is only his power. Fret over the DAW if you will, but I wish to live my life for those times and places when He moves among broken people who are past pretention. I'll bring the popcorn.    

--------------

Here is the link to the release candidates:

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=AE...=folder%2c

The expected run order (subject to any withdrawels or last minute changes) if you want to listen to them that way is:

1) Here
2) You have called me
3) Good to Me
4) Stand
5) The Way, the Truth, the Life
6) God's Mercy
7) Our Lord's Prayer
8) Lord Lift Me Up
9) Lord of Glory, Lord of All
10) Savior
11) Last Day on Earth
12) Creation to Crowing Glory

With all my regards,
Greg
Greg - Steve is working on a new mix (for Lord of Glory Lord of All) and I'm supposed to be helping him, but I got behind. We'll have a new mix to you as soon as we can.
I'm confused (surprise, surprise Smile What are we supposed to do next? I'm seeing MP3s on the link. Are we supposed to be OKing something? Am I looking for a document at all? Is this for performers or songwriters only? Is there more to come as far as contracts go? If we are approving the songs only, I will go through and listen to everything. I would not object to the removal of the heavy breathing at the end of CtCG, but it doesn't bother me either, since I never bothered to take it off myself Smile It might be the perfect ending for this labor of love! Smile
Thanks Greg for everything!
(06-02-2016, 01:35 AM)ShannonB Wrote: I'm confused (surprise, surprise Smile What are we supposed to do next? I'm seeing MP3s on the link. Are we supposed to be OKing something? Am I looking for a document at all? Is this for performers or songwriters only? Is there more to come as far as contracts go? If we are approving the songs only, I will go through and listen to everything. I would not object to the removal of the heavy breathing at the end of CtCG, but it doesn't bother me either, since I never bothered to take it off myself Smile It might be the perfect ending for this labor of love! Smile
Thanks Greg for everything!
Heavy breathing at the end...so many jokes...so little time...

Big Grin
Helpful as always, eh Beagle? Smile
I know you'll have a comment for my confusion, too, so I'll just wait for it! Smile
(06-02-2016, 09:50 AM)ShannonB Wrote: Helpful as always,  eh Beagle? Smile
I know you'll have a comment for my confusion,  too, so I'll just wait for it! Smile

I didn't want to hit you with it all at once...what's the fun in that???   Wink
There are both MP3's and WAV files, if you were wondering if there were duplicates.  What I'm asking is approval from each person/team to either A) put their song "as is" on the album or B) request some changes.

-----------------------------
(Optional Geek time, and sorry if I'm beginning to dress like Captain Obvious)

BTW - I wanted you to also hear how it MAY sound as an MP3, but there is a tiny detail that you may care about.  If you had the ability to directly put a song on iTunes (you don't, you have to go through a large label or distributor) you'd find that each outlet has their own rules.  A "Mastered for iTunes" album for example is preferably submitted to them as 96k among other things - THEY will do the final conversions for the version that you hear.  Distributors often require you to submit in just one format and they then do what has to be done for Amazon, iTunes, Spotify, etc. After which Amazon, iTunes, Spotify will do to it what they prefer - .

Before you cry evil though, the issue is transcoding:  Which involves the ability to choose many different levels of quality or format on the fly.  There is a practical reason and efficiency in storing only one high quality copy and then transcoding for whatever download or streaming format the end user wants. Especially for streaming on different connections like cellular versus WiFi.  As long as the server can cache a high demand song in an oft requested format - It ends up being a big savings, a user convenience and relatively future proof.

------------------------------
(Eye-rolling Geek time, feel free to stop reading)

It points out something else too... Debate all you want whether people can hear the different between 44.1 and higher sample rates. Digital processors don't process sound like people do though.  

Bob Olhsson (engineer for Stevie Wonder among others) worked with iTunes to prove that, just as you can master for best sound on tape versus vinvl, you also can master a song in a way that makes for a better sounding digital reproduction in the formats that the listener will likely use.  I mention him because its something you can google and listen to the difference. In that sense IMO mastering is more alive that ever, as was originally defined of being the art of preparing a release for the best quality sound on a particular delivery mechanism.

The point to most of us though is that there IS a reason to record at higher sample rates. Up-sampling is fairly useless. You have to record at the higher rate to begin with, just as you can't put the extra detail back into a lower resolution photo. Something to keep in mind for releases that you intend to go to the public in any way other than just putting them on your own website.
.. And I'm not touching Beagle's comment. Smile  Shannon, my thinking on CtCG is that the particular recording reminds me of the "Jesus Record" demos where Rich Mullens just clapped and laughed out loud at the end of a demo captured (as I recall)  when he was alone in an empty church with a simple recorder.  Not that you won't ever want to record it differently, but its got a sweetness to it IMO.  And yah, I very much liked the end noise coming at the end of the album.
(06-01-2016, 11:17 AM)gdball Wrote: Not perfected; not famous
Neighbors, writers and artists
Daring, heating, shaping
As iron sharpens iron

These release candidates __ARE__ for your approval at the following link given below. First some housekeeping, and if you can bear it a few thoughts. Then comes the link. Smile 

HOUSEKEEPING:  Steve, if you want to give me a new mix of "Lord of Glory", that is cool. But need it soon.  And "Savior" may soon have a different vocalist according to Damp's pleasure and preference.  You both have as much time as the rest of the paper work takes. Smile

WHETSTONE ALBUM CLOTHING:  Some are available at zazzle.com, just go there and search for "Whetstone Album". You also get to preview the album cover. 

THOUGHTS: More than anything else, I think this album has been about taking stock of readiness. In no way do I think any less of anyone based on where they are in this journey. I salute you at the beginning or in the briars if it feels that way. If anything, I honor you more. This is the hard work/faithful part. Times when you wonder if there is a piece of art inside the stone, or if you're just beating on a rock. I hope you are gentle and careful with the unique artist or writer that is being exposed. 

At the same time I hope it helps clear away anything false, because we all have peculiar ways of looking at ourselves - especially when it comes to our own music. The most important questions of this project are (IMO) what do you intend to do with that information? 

I don't mind if you listen to the result and blame or impune my abilities Smile  And I think that artists should never expect to like their work in the long run - its a sign that they are growing as artists.  

But I also think that we should not despise or underestimate any of it.  For me at least, God never seems to use the words or actions that I thought were so important. He always chooses to use ones I barely remember. In those times I am made acutely aware that there is only his power. Fret over the DAW if you will, but I wish to live my life for those times and places when He moves among broken people who are past pretention. I'll bring the popcorn.    

--------------

Here is the link to the release candidates:

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=AE...=folder%2c

The expected run order (subject to any withdrawels or last minute changes) if you want to listen to them that way is:

1) Here
2) You have called me
3) Good to Me
4) Stand
5) The Way, the Truth, the Life
6) God's Mercy
7) Our Lord's Prayer
8) Lord Lift Me Up
9) Lord of Glory, Lord of All
10) Savior
11) Last Day on Earth
12) Creation to Crowing Glory

With all my regards,
Greg
almost forgot.  We (Linda & I) are happy with the final mixes.  You did ask for final yeah or nay on the mixes.  We are saying "yeah"  Thank you so much for the hard work and diligence Greg.  

Marty & Linda
(06-02-2016, 01:16 PM)gdball Wrote: .. And I'm not touching Beagle's comment. Smile  Shannon, my thinking on CtCG is that the particular recording reminds me of the "Jesus Record" demos where Rich Mullens just clapped and laughed out loud at the end of a demo captured (as I recall)  when he was alone in an empty church with a simple recorder.  Not that you won't ever want to record it differently, but its got a sweetness to it IMO.  And yah, I very much liked the end noise coming at the end of the album.
Alrighty, then, I'd say we're good to go! Cool