Scandalous Grace Band

Please consider supporting CSN by supporting our advertisers!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
* * * A SONGWRITING LESSON FROM THE REAL ESTATE INDUSTRY * * *
Hey guys.

I want to share a perspective with you that has been a great help to me. It has a great way of helping me focus my time and energy on what really counts. My hope is that it will do the same for you. This perspective comes in the form of a quote I received from a previous mentor, at a time when I was doing residential real estate investment deals. I would spend a lot of time and energy searching for properties to buy and drawing up entry, hold, and exit strategies. But, when I pitched the deals to financial backers, nobody wanted to go into business with me. Frustrated and confused, I went to my mentor to rant and rave. Then, when I had ran out of words and half-expletives, he said,

"All good deals get done."

When I asked him what he meant, he just smiled and stared at me as if to suggest, "Well, meditate on it and let me know what you come up with." So, disappointed and annoyed, I walked away to sulk and lick my wounds. A week or two later, after I had taken his silent and sage advice, I came back. To my satisfaction he confirmed my conclusions. The following statement is what I discovered and it's just as true for songwriting as it is for brokering real estate deals.

Great deals (songs) don't just fall into your lap. You have to spend time on them, forming them into attractive offers that CANNOT BE IGNORED. When we do that, we don't have any problem attracting all the talent and money we need in order to get the deal (song) done.

There's a lot implied in that simple statement and I don't have time to discuss all of it in this post. So, I'd like to focus on two main points.

1) If we want our music to have a life outside of our living rooms, practice closets, and this forum, we have to understand our target market. We have to know what they want in a song. Here's an idea for how we can do that. Why not pick a few songs that we absolutely love and admire. Then, study them to figure out what makes them so good. Finally, let's use our new-found knowledge to rework our songs for similar affect. Now, you might be thinking, "But, how can I do that when I'm not very good at ______________, ______________, and _______________?" Well, that leads me to my next point.

2) We need to use your strengths to attract partners who are strong in the areas where we're weak. And, in order to do that, we have to show what's in it for them. We have to show them that we bring something valuable to the table. Take me, for example. I'm looking for songwriting partners who share my passion and commitment to congregational praise & worship music. Now, I'm pretty good and composing and producing modern, dynamic, emotionally engaging music. But when in comes to lyric writing, I'm a newb! So, what should I do? Well, here's an idea. I could go after lyricists by presenting a killer song summary pitch. For example, I could say,

"Hey poetic, rockstar lyricists! I'm writing a song in the style of (insert band names here) that contrasts the Lord's strength and power against His kindness and tenderness. Here's a sample recording of what I had in mind. Who will come and help me finish it?"

Now, I can't promise that by following this advice we're all going to end up the becoming superstar Christian songwriters, but I'm confident that we'll all get a better response than what we've been experiencing. Who knows, we may just end up finding some great partners on this site and elsewhere.

Hope this helps. God Bless!

- J. Gray
(619) 321-8193
jgray.v2@gmail.com
Hello J.,
This is a very helpful & useful bit of advice. I know that each of us have gifts that can compliment one another so I appreciate your gift of motivating and encouraging us to look further upon our horizons. Stir up one another in Faith to excell towards excellance in the craft we've been given. Thanks again, God bless!
JordanC
(05-25-2016, 12:39 PM)JordanC Wrote: Hello J.,
  This is a very helpful & useful bit of advice. I know that each of us have gifts that can compliment one another so I appreciate your gift of motivating and encouraging us to look further upon our horizons. Stir up one another in Faith to excell towards excellance in the craft we've been given. Thanks again, God bless!
JordanC

Hey Jordan. So glad you found this encouraging. God bless!

- J.