Scandalous Grace Band

Please consider supporting CSN by supporting our advertisers!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jesus Came
Hey Stella,

Not a critical listen line by line as I just put it on headphones while driving.  It touched a Spiritual Chord as it is melancholy in nature.  It ministered to me on a couple of levels....Thinking about why we write in the first place.  It is to minister...AND tell a story that is birthed inside of us for someone to hear.  I'm the first person to believe in honing our craft....Sometimes craft goes out the window and it is all about touching people where they are at....

No crits, just an enjoyable moment of you saying what God has given you
Thanks Steve...i think!
You're right - i don't 'craft' i just write and hope for the best outcome :-)
(03-12-2016, 07:46 AM)Stella Wrote: Thanks Steve...i think!

Stella,

I didn't even "look" at the craft, if that makes sense...Was listening as the people in the congregation listen.  Not oh you should do this or you should do that....

When one posts a song here sometimes we "break" it down, cause it is after all a songwriting forum.

We can actually break or even "ruin" the initial inspiration of the Holy Spirit with our tweaking...

Does that make sense?
(03-12-2016, 01:18 PM)Steve A Wrote:
(03-12-2016, 07:46 AM)Stella Wrote: Thanks Steve...i think!

Stella,

I didn't even "look" at the craft, if that makes sense...Was listening as the people in the congregation listen.  Not oh you should do this or you should do that....

When one posts a song here sometimes we "break" it down, cause it is after all a songwriting forum.

We can actually break or even "ruin" the initial inspiration of the Holy Spirit with our tweaking...

Does that make sense?

(Then surely we should let it be...what the Holy Spirit wanted it to be initially?)

I have seen some we-writes and to be honest, all versions are good to me, the lyrics might be tighter - but it still gives the same message, i do enjoy listening to and appreciate other peoples work. 

Thanks for your reply Steve, i wasn't having a moan at you.
"We can actually break or even "ruin" the initial inspiration of the Holy Spirit with our tweaking..."
"(Then surely we should let it be...what the Holy Spirit wanted it to be initially?)"

While it is within the realm of possibility, it is very much the rare exception. Yes, we are given songwriting inspiration from God through His Spirit, but let us never start believing our songwriting efforts are comparable to the God-breathed writings of scripture. In my time I have seen some writing which, by any objective measure, could not be described as good or even adequate vigorously defended as follows: "But God gave it to me, so I'm not going to change a thing!"

Here are some excellent words from Steve Laube, not about songwriting per se but completely on point all the same:

"God gave me this blog post.
By invoking divine inspiration I have guaranteed that you will read this post and possibly give me money to read more.
Sound like a stretch? Then what if I just wrote or said:
“God spoke to me”
“I was led to write this”
“God revealed this to me”
“I have been called to write this”
“I believe this is an inspired post”
In the Christian publishing industry editors, publishers, and literary agents hear these all time (and I suspect they are heard in the aisles and parking lots of churches every week). I’ve heard it on the phone, in person, and in writing…in varying degrees. Everything from “If you don’t accept this book idea you are not a Christian because God gave it to me” to “The Lord has laid this on my heart.” Obviously the first is outrageous, but what is wrong with the other one?
Often a writer will approach and say in whispered tones, “I know I’m not supposed to say this, but I truly believe that God gave me this story.” I know what they mean. They are trying to express their passion for their work and their sincere belief that it is life changing. Unfortunately it doesn’t always come across that way.
The Bible is very clear that God speaks to us via His Spirit, sometimes through other people in writing, speaking, singing, or actions. We are admonished “Do not quench the Spirit. Do not despise prophecies.” (I Thessalonians 5: 19-20) But don’t stop reading the biblical text because in the next verse (v. 21) the apostle Paul wrote “Test everything.” The apostle John wrote further, “test the spirits to see whether they are from God.” (1 John 4:1)
Therefore the next time, before casually or intentionally using this type of language:
Consider your motive. What is being accomplished by invoking divine inspiration? A legitimacy that was somehow missing before the statement crossed the lips? An expression of passion and sincerity? Is the phrase being used as manipulation?
Consider your audience. The publishing professional being addressed has already made the assumption that God is inspiring a lot of people a lot of the time. That is intrinsic to the Artistic process. We assume that you are passionate about your work or that you feel it is inspired in some way, otherwise you would not be showing it to anyone. A few of the more sarcastic among us may be tempted to respond, “God told you but forgot to tell me” or “Really? God did that? Please sign this dotted line so we can get busy with publishing it!” You see how silly and mocking this can get?
Consider your source. Annie Dillard wrote, “Does anyone have the foggiest idea what sort of power we so blithely invoke? Or, as I suspect, does no one believe a word of it?” (Teaching a Stone to Talk, page 40) Are you really speaking for God? Are your words supplanting God’s? Or adding to them? That is a danger of invoking God’s name in order to validate one’s material. “If anyone speaks, they should do so as one who speaks the very words of God…so that in all things God may be praised through Jesus Christ.” (1 Peter 4:11)
So before anyone takes offense, I’m not trying “quench the Spirit.” Instead I’m encouraging a bit of caution when talking this way among publishing professionals."

- See more at: http://www.stevelaube.com/god-gave-me-th...dsrR2.dpuf

God gives us gifts and talents - it is up to us to use them to the best of our ability for His glory AND to be open to the possibility that God is using the critiques of others to help us grind and polish our diamonds into things of beauty.
I am a damp hamster, a small moist rodent with a pea-sized brain... so what do I know?! 

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default....ID=1243220

Hi Stella,

Regarding your tag-line - I think you ARE blessed with song-writing talent. My two cents worth...
I am a damp hamster, a small moist rodent with a pea-sized brain... so what do I know?! 

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default....ID=1243220

(03-13-2016, 09:05 AM)damp hamster Wrote: Hi Stella,

Regarding your tag-line - I think you ARE blessed with song-writing talent. My two cents worth...

Thankyou.
Stella,

You are a good songwriter.
just like the rest of us, we are all trying to become the best we can at our craft.
It is a process. Stick with it. I believe you will be glad you did.

Terrance
(03-13-2016, 04:04 PM)tgmsings Wrote: Stella,

You are a good songwriter.
just like the rest of us, we are all trying to become the best we can at our craft.
It is a process. Stick with it. I believe you will be glad you did.

Terrance

Thankyou buddy. I will stick with it, there's none but Jesus and God whom I want to write about! 
I'm glad I found you on here. I hope you get the recognition you deserve...and I hear you on KLove someday!