April Audio

Please consider supporting CSN by supporting our advertisers!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Whetstone Submission: Christ Soldiers
I had this on the previous forum but forgot to put it here....I am trying to get the lyrics from the performer.

https://soundcloud.com/ctonyp/christ-sol...right-2016
Hey Tony,

I have the usual questions about being able to obtain agreements from the writers and performer - but it especially seems relevant here since as you say you'd have to reach out to them.

I need to ask you about audio formats that are available. Whetstone was never meant for critique - but taking advantage of knowing that you mixed this one, would you be open to polishing some parts of the mix just a bit?

Greg
(03-07-2016, 06:50 PM)gdball Wrote: Hey Tony,

I have the usual questions about being able to obtain agreements from the writers and performer - but it especially seems relevant here since as you say you'd have to reach out to them.

I need to ask you about audio formats that are available. Whetstone was never meant for critique - but taking advantage of knowing that you mixed this one, would you be open to polishing some parts of the mix just a bit?

Greg

Greg,
Getting the agreements would be zero problem. The writer/performer is a brother in the church that comes to my house regularly. We have several original pieces in the works.  The main problem, I think, is that the music was some public domain piece and can't really be mixed....maybe some eq and compression or something but that's all.  I can try to get the public use agreement or whatever it's called from the background music.  All the vocals I could send in any format you like if you have someone more experienced in mixing. I have no problem with that. I am a novice.   If you really are considering this song, let me know and I will try to tackle some of the issues...if not, no big deal. Just let me know so I don't waste a bunch of time.
Tony
Tony,

In once sense it doesn't bother me as I know that beats are commonly sold for Rap. __BUT__ We would definitely need to be sure that we are legally cleared to use them without royalties of any kind before going any further. Also, the beat maker would need to certify that there are no samples of other songs used. Given that beats are a modern thing I would doubt that any are actually public domain yet, though they could have been released with some other kind of license, Creative Commons, etc. Anyway as far as not wasting your time, that is the most important thing to obtain first IN WRITING. Otherwise yah, there isn't anything we could do with it.

It would be a cool song to include. Rap is not my favorite genre either, but it was never intended to limit Whetstone to one person's preferences. It has a cool message, a driving vocal line, etc. From a mix perspective - again this is not a critique and I didn't want to ask you to remix the whole song - but I did think there was an opportunity to make the vocals clearer and more driving which IMO would be worth doing. If we get past the licensing issue that is, we can talk it.

Let me know?
Greg
(03-08-2016, 06:11 PM)gdball Wrote: Tony,

In once sense it doesn't bother me as I know that beats are commonly sold for Rap. __BUT__ We would definitely need to be sure that we are legally cleared to use them without royalties of any kind before going any further. Also, the beat maker would need to certify that there are no samples of other songs used.  Given that beats are a modern thing I would doubt that any are actually public domain yet, though they could have been released with some other kind of license, Creative Commons, etc.  Anyway as far as not wasting your time, that is the most important thing to obtain first IN WRITING.  Otherwise yah, there isn't anything we could do with it.

It would be a cool song to include. Rap is not my favorite genre either, but it was never intended to limit Whetstone to one person's preferences. It has a cool message, a driving vocal line, etc.   From a mix perspective - again this is not a critique and I didn't want to ask you to remix the whole song - but I did think there was an opportunity to make the vocals clearer and more driving which IMO would be worth doing.  If we get past the licensing issue that is, we can talk it.  

Let me know?
Greg

Greg,
Sounds great. I talked to Carl (rapper) and he is getting me the lyrics and is going to track down the music source. I'm open to whatever in the mix. Like I said, I am new to it and got a lot to learn.
Here are the lyrics:

Chorus:
(Now) when my real Christ Soldiers stand up
And if your Lord’s Jesus then put your hands up
Cuz we’re lifting up Jesus
We’re lifting up Jesus
We’re lifting up Jesus
We’re lifting up Jesus (x3)

Verse1:
Now we roll with the army that’s growin
And it keeps goin when the Holy Spirit’s flowin
Everything I do is in the honor of my King