Scandalous Grace Band

Please consider supporting CSN by supporting our advertisers!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hello
Hi. I just found and joined this site today. Not only am I new here, I am new to writing songs.  Here is a bit of background on how I wound up here.

I have written poetry for years.  Mostly I have written as a tool to gather my own thoughts contemplating spiritual principles or biblical truth.  I usually write on scrap paper, the back of grocery receipts, etc. I very rarely shared them with anyone and viewed them as just something between God and I.  All but a few wound up in the trash over the years.  I know it may sound crazy to a group of writers, but it did not occur to me to do anything with them!

While on vacation in Montana and Wyoming a while back I started praying about things I could do to ease out of the corporate world.  During that trip it was as if God said "Hey. Dummy.  I have given you a lot of verses over the years and you just toss them.  Howbowdat????" So, I am thinking maybe I should try to write songs.  I wrote a couple during the trip and one of them appeared to show promise.  So I came home, promptly buried the notebook, and forgot about it.

Fast forward a year ... my youngest son has been taking guitar lessons for a few years.  His teacher thinks he is somewhat of a prodigy.  He is very good.  His girlfriend sings, plays guitar as well and is a very talented actress.  So they will be doing a Christmas program this year at church and were looking for songs.  I showed them the song I had written, and over the last couple months we have been working on the music and arrangement. ( I am simply a lyricist ).  The debut will be 12/3/17.  They have also been asked to play at a private Christmas party later this month that is actually hosted by a person that was a Dove award nominee this year. We are hoping to get some idea from that whether we are on the right track here or not.  We are also just starting to work on a couple other songs.

We have emailed this song back and forth to each other several times. My understanding is that is sufficient for copyright.  Is that correct?

I am looking forward to learning more about this site and the participants and how to do this stuff!
Welcome DenaliDog! thanks for the background! glad to have you with us here and hope you come back often!

to answer your question, your song is copyrighted as soon as you create it. make sure you put a copyright date on anything you print out or save, like chordsheets or arrangements.

however, copyright law is very complicated and my philosophy is that you should always register your songs with the US Copyright office. That doesn't create the copyright itself, but it gives you legal documentation which would give you a better chance of winning a court battle if it were to come to that.
(12-01-2017, 04:25 PM)Beagle Wrote: Welcome DenaliDog!  thanks for the background!  glad to have you with us here and hope you come back often!

to answer your question, your song is copyrighted as soon as you create it.  make sure you put a copyright date on anything you print out or save, like chordsheets or arrangements.

however, copyright law is very complicated and my philosophy is that you should always register your songs with the US Copyright office.  That doesn't create the copyright itself, but it gives you legal documentation which would give you a better chance of winning a court battle if it were to come to that.

Hey Beagle. Thanks for the kind welcome and information. Always better to err on the side of caution. I provided the background so everyone would know what they were dealing with ... a total neophyte!

The song was very well received yesterday. With that being the first time I have heard it in public, my thought was, we still have a lot of work to do in the next couple weeks!
Hey, post it here at CSN if you fell so inclined. If there is still some work yet to be done, perhaps we can be of some help.
I am a damp hamster, a small moist rodent with a pea-sized brain... so what do I know?! 

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default....ID=1243220

(12-05-2017, 12:26 AM)damp hamster Wrote: Hey, post it here at CSN if you fell so inclined. If there is still some work yet to be done, perhaps we can be of some help.

Thanks for the offer damp hamster! I will  do that soon. Tied up with work for the next few days. Thinking I should post in the lyrics critique forum, correct?