April Audio

Please consider supporting CSN by supporting our advertisers!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Parodies
Before the CSN server crashed, I posted a few lyrics using other's tunes. It seems that now, CSN is a bit pickier
Quote:Please do not use material which is copyrighted by someone else without a license (i.e.; no covers without a mechanical license - if you do a cover, put the mechanical license number in the post).

One began with the title IMAGINE, but I was told that for a parody, I would need some changes. First, can and how does one make parodies be made per the CSN warning? I'll post other parodies if replies seem to say that they are permissible.

Here was what I ended up with:
IMAGINE, TOO

Imagine there's a heaven
It's easy and it’s true
The way to get there
Is Jesus Christ in you
Imagine all the people
All eternity …

Imagine there’s no bullies
It isn't hard to do
And yet that means the bully
Will at no time be you
Imagine all the people
Living life in peace...

You may say I'm a b’liever
We were God’s to choose
I hope someday you'll join us
Like the Lord we will not lose.

Imagine all possessions
Bring glory to God’s Name
All helping one another
A brotherhood the same
Imagine all the people
Living as was planned …

You may say I'm a b’liever
We were God’s to choose
I hope someday you'll join us
Like the Lord we will not lose.
From death he did rise and will come again.
Move on with him now to be ready for then.
the gruvster
gruvEdude - the "new CSN" is really no different than the old. there were rules on the old site which also stated that copyrighted material must not be used without the copyright owner's permission, typically through a mechanical license.

Parodies of songs are legal without copyright owners' permission or mechanical license as long as the law governing parodies is followed. even then all items are subject to interpretation by the courts.

In order for a song to be considered a legal parody of a copyrighted material, it needs to adhere to the following:
"When an author or artist ridicules a well-known work by imitating it in a comedic way. To the extent that the parodist copies material protected by copyright, the publication may be considered a copyright infringement unless excused by the fair use defense. The key factor for a parody to qualify as fair use is whether the parody is transformative -- it adds something new, with a further purpose or different character altering the copied work with new expression, meaning, or message."
-ref: https://www.law.cornell.edu/wex/parody

I think one thing that you may be missing in using your lyrics against the original songs is that parodies are "making fun of" or "ridiculing" in a "comedic way." Changing the words of a well known melody to fit another subject is not the same thing as a parody. changing the words of a song to fit another subject is actually called a "derivative work."

"Under the Copyright Act, a "'derivative work' is a work based upon one or more preexisting works, such as a translation, musical arrangement, dramatization, fictionalization, motion picture version, sound recording, art reproduction, abridgment, condensation, or any other form in which a work may be recast, transformed, or adapted. A work consisting of editorial revisions, annotations, elaborations, or other modifications which, as a whole, represent an original work of authorship, is a 'derivative work.'"
-ref: https://www.law.cornell.edu/wex/derivative_work

Derivative works DO require permission of the copyright owner (unless the song is public domain). For example, I wrote a song a long time ago using new lyrics for the song "Parsley, Sage Rosemary and Thyme." I had very clever lyrics to the tune which ended up being titled, "Are You Going to Calvary's Hill."

the problem I ran into is that I based the song off of Simon and Garfunkel's version of the song, which is specifically their copyright. if I had used the original song and not their version, the original song is public domain. basing the song off of their version made my version a "derivative work." so I had to change the song and base it off of the PD song instead of the S&G song in order to comply with copyright laws.

other examples would include songs created by Weird Al Yankovic. His songs are "funny" - those are parodies.

all that being said, the official stance of the forum is that all copyright laws must be followed in order to keep CSN from being legally responsible for anything posted in the forum. however, if you're not actually recording anything, but suggesting lyrics you've created as a proposed derivative work toward a specific melody suggestion, that's not illegal in that sense anyway. the legality would be in question if you have made a recording of the derivative work and posted that recording without the proper legal documents being completed, or permission of the copyright holder in a document which would hold up in court.

so - I hope that helps!
So... Beagle can write man. Smile Good job.
(11-16-2017, 04:25 PM)gdball Wrote: So... Beagle can write man. Smile  Good job.

Agreed.

Another what I thought was a parody, I posted before the CSN server crashed is HE IS OUR ONLY GOOD. Hearing Billy Joel interviewed that ONLY THE GOOD DIE YOUNG was written about lust, I wrote and posted what I thought was a parody to God's glory. But it is certainly not funny. Cry
From death he did rise and will come again.
Move on with him now to be ready for then.
the gruvster
Wow! That was an awesome answer!
AGREED!
(11-16-2017, 04:25 PM)gdball Wrote: So... Beagle can write man. Smile Good job.
well, I'm glad to help!!!