Scandalous Grace Band

Please consider supporting CSN by supporting our advertisers!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"JOY!" - Original Song
https://soundcloud.com/user-864970489/joy

First time posting my music here! Here's a song titled "JOY!" that I wrote and produced. I guess you'd call it R&B Gospel, or maybe urban gospel; I get confused by so many sub-genres! 

It's my own home studio recording with a vintage synth, a few synth modules, drum machines and a sampler. Recording is done on a 16-track hardware digital recorder. When necessary, post-production (which consists of extra EQ fine tuning and overall volume adjustment) is done on computer.

I have a very direct style of producing. I've found that it helps my sound cut through, as opposed to using a lot of panning, reverb, etc. The more lush, spacious kind of sound doesn't really fit my music.

I'm very open to suggestions, e.g., do you think my music could use a more spacious sound, do any parts need to be pulled back or brought more upfront, or...whatever!

Thanks for listening!

"JOY!"

The gift of joy is precious
Because it comes from Jesus
Joy is everlasting
Because it comes from the true King
Joy is greater than the moment
That's because it's heaven-sent
Trust in God and believe it
And you're sure to receive it

(Chorus)
Come let us share our joy
With every girl and boy
Come let us spread the love
From the Lord above
Come let us kneel and pray
Be grateful every day
And thank the Lord above
For giving us His love

Joy is with us always
Even through the dark days
Earthly pleasures don't last
Heaven's joy is steadfast
Take His joy into your heart
Give your life a new start
It will leave you never
The wealth of joy is forever

(Repeat chorus twice)

JOY! (repeat 8 times)
This song should have people in the pews standing up and clapping! The energy's great. I'd love to hear this with backup singers, maybe even some horns.
Thanks, pshell!

There are many of my recordings that I'd love to hear with a full choir and band. Maybe someday I can work out the logistics.
Hey Kenny - this is REALLY fun! very cool! love it!

I have the same comments on this one that I did on the other one, tho, vocals sound like they're too far from the mic when recording in a big room with a lot of reflections. synth is too loud and overwhelms the vocals.

great upbeat song!
(09-23-2017, 10:11 AM)Beagle Wrote: Hey Kenny - this is REALLY fun!  very cool!  love it!

I have the same comments on this one that I did on the other one, tho, vocals sound like they're too far from the mic when recording in a big room with a lot of reflections.  synth is too loud and overwhelms the vocals.

great upbeat song!
Thanks again for taking the time to listen and critique!

I guess we're just hearing different things. If anything, I was wondering if my vocals were too upfront! It's all good, though.
Taste = personal, definitely.

One think I'd check - its also possible that the room you use or some other factor has you hearing differently than we are. What I mean is, on the other song you mentioned the bass synth and I was like, "What bass synth?" Possibly what you are hearing as down in the bass is somehow more in the midrange of what we hear and so gets crowded with the vocal to a degree? Dunno. But I also would like to hear the vocal up more.

Vintage synth as in 16 bit Emu/proteus? Korg Poly? Older DAT recorder?
I have to agree with the vocals. I hear your room way too much. Your voice is better than your room makes it sound. Try bringing your mic into your clothes closet and record vocals there. It's a poor man's room treatment...lol.
soundcloud.com\ctonyp
(09-25-2017, 11:40 AM)gdball Wrote: Taste = personal, definitely.  

One think I'd check - its also possible that the room you use or some other factor has you hearing differently than we are. What I mean is, on the other song you mentioned the bass synth and I was like, "What bass synth?"  Possibly what you are hearing as down in the bass is somehow more in the midrange of what we hear and so gets crowded with the vocal to a degree? Dunno. But I also would like to hear the vocal up more.

Vintage synth as in 16 bit Emu/proteus? Korg Poly? Older DAT recorder?
Actually, it's a Sequential Circuits Six-Trak. I like to call it the Prophet-5's little brother!
Vocally, I'm pretty sure that what you're hearing is the reverb I'm using. On the songs "JOY!" and "Praise," I'm going for BIG, because those songs are about making that "joyful noise unto the Lord." On some songs, I'll apply just enough reverb for a little presence; on others, I'll apply more. I get that it won't be everyone's cup of tea, and it might sound strange if you're used to listening to typical contemporary Christian music.

As far as the synth sounds go, again I'm very grateful for the advice, although now I'm not so sure exactly which synth tones are in question! Either way, I adjusted the bass synth and I'm very happy with the results. I actually want my mixes to be somewhat atypical; not to be some kind of rebel, but (1) to get the sound that's in my head, and (2) to not sound like so many commercial releases that sound too much alike to my ears. Also, a lot of amateur recordings I've heard on various websites seem to be trying to emulate the commercial releases. They don't sound bad by any means; they're just not my sound. A very rough analogy would be that anyone used to lush Beatles/Beach Boys recordings might bristle a bit when listening to some raw James Brown.

But keep the critiques coming! While I do feel it necessary to stand by my overall sound, there's always the chance, as with the bass on "Praise," that there's something I can adjust to improve the mix.