Forums
More advice needed - Printable Version

+- Forums (http://forum.christiansongwriters.org)
+-- Forum: The Business Section (http://forum.christiansongwriters.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Forum: Music Business Discussion (http://forum.christiansongwriters.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+--- Thread: More advice needed (/showthread.php?tid=617)

Pages: 1 2

More advice needed - ShannonB - 02-04-2017

When do you all think that soundcloud should be used, & does soundcloud take away from your sales? 
Usually if I am in the process of producing a song, I will take it off of my soundcloud temporarily to see if the producer has promo or distribution ideas. I just finished a song online & I really want to share it with you but putting it on soundcloud is the only way I can do that right now. I know this sounds crude, but does that fall under "why pay for the cow when you can get the milk for free?" Should soundcloud only be used for songs that you're not sure about yet?
I have lots more, but it can wait. I'm going back to bed now.

RE: More advice needed - Beagle - 02-04-2017

All of our music which was released on our last CD is also available in full free to listen to on Soundcloud. We haven't really specifically discussed the reasons we do this, but technically it's left there by default. Each song is put there for review and each iteration is replaced, then the final version is released on facebook, twitter, etc long before the CD or single is ever released on iTunes or on a physical CD.

my opinion however, is that even though it's still available there to listen freely on soundcloud, all that does is increase exposure to our music. we can point our listeners to our website or to iTunes in each of the songs if we wish (which, admittedly we haven't done on all of them but we need to).

we don't expect to make a living at our music, we just hope that our music will bless some people and bring the gospel to some who might not have heard it yet. all 3 of us are way down "in the red" when we consider how much we've spent vs how much we've made!

RE: More advice needed - ShannonB - 02-04-2017

Ok, that does make me feel a little freer about putting it on soundcloud to share it here. I have just heard different opinions on the subject, & before Whetstone, I had never gotten far enough in my music to care about the business end of things. I definitely don't want to mess up the ministry side of things with greed, but I also don't want to mess up any opportunity for someone to take a song of mine & run with it while it's never been heard before. For my producer here in ABQ, it seems to have more to do with "branding". I had an artist for one of my songs, but he kind of bailed, so now that producer is going to release the song to me to do with as I please, & he already knows I intend to put it on soundcloud. If I knew for sure somebody wanted it, I would give it to them first, so they would get "first association" with the song.
There is also a second song that I did online. I have the opportunity to put it directly into their Music Library, but I have to make a decision by the end of the month. I think the same idea is holding me back, that I want to make sure no particular person wants the song first. I guess publishing is publishing, yet I am hesitating, & I'm not sure why.
Alright, here goes everything. I think I will put it up, even if only temporarily. I really value you guys, & as I said, this is the only way I can share my work with all of you. Thanks, Beagle!

RE: More advice needed - Beagle - 02-05-2017

You can always take it down later if someone wants to publish it exclusively. but I understand your hesitation.

RE: More advice needed - michaelhanson - 02-06-2017

(02-04-2017, 05:55 PM)Beagle Wrote: All of our music which was released on our last CD is also available in full free to listen to on Soundcloud.  We haven't really specifically discussed the reasons we do this, but technically it's left there by default.  Each song is put there for review and each iteration is replaced, then the final version is released on facebook, twitter, etc long before the CD or single is ever released on iTunes or on a physical CD.  

my opinion however, is that even though it's still available there to listen freely on soundcloud, all that does is increase exposure to our music.  we can point our listeners to our website or to iTunes in each of the songs if we wish (which, admittedly we haven't done on all of them but we need to).

we don't expect to make a living at our music, we just hope that our music will bless some people and bring the gospel to some who might not have heard it yet.  all 3 of us are way down "in the red" when we consider how much we've spent vs how much we've made!

Though we have never discussed this as a Band, I completely agree with you Reece.  I see no reason to worry about our songs being on Sound Cloud, as in that I believe it only gives us more exposure.  Its available to stream there, but not to down load.  Did I see something a while back about Sound Cloud now allowing you to sell the songs from SC?  I'm not sure, maybe some one else knows.  In any rate, I don't think it has hurt any iTunes sales of CD's or songs.

Actually Reece, I agree with you that we need to take better advantage of dropping links and sharing them on all of our sites.

RE: More advice needed - Beagle - 02-06-2017

(02-06-2017, 03:37 PM)michaelhanson Wrote:
(02-04-2017, 05:55 PM)Beagle Wrote: All of our music which was released on our last CD is also available in full free to listen to on Soundcloud.  We haven't really specifically discussed the reasons we do this, but technically it's left there by default.  Each song is put there for review and each iteration is replaced, then the final version is released on facebook, twitter, etc long before the CD or single is ever released on iTunes or on a physical CD.  

my opinion however, is that even though it's still available there to listen freely on soundcloud, all that does is increase exposure to our music.  we can point our listeners to our website or to iTunes in each of the songs if we wish (which, admittedly we haven't done on all of them but we need to).

we don't expect to make a living at our music, we just hope that our music will bless some people and bring the gospel to some who might not have heard it yet.  all 3 of us are way down "in the red" when we consider how much we've spent vs how much we've made!

Though we have never discussed this as a Band, I completely agree with you Reece.  I see no reason to worry about our songs being on Sound Cloud, as in that I believe it only gives us more exposure.  Its available to stream there, but not to down load.  Did I see something a while back about Sound Cloud now allowing you to sell the songs from SC?  I'm not sure, maybe some one else knows.  In any rate, I don't think it has hurt any iTunes sales of CD's or songs.

Actually Reece, I agree with you that we need to take better advantage of dropping links and sharing them on all of our sites.

yes, we do!

RE: More advice needed - JordanC - 02-08-2017

Hello Everyone,
I appreciate everyone's point of view in regards to this topic. I agree with Shannon when she says "I really value you Guys"! You help to shed light on so many different topics in such a practical way. We have all benefited from your help on this site, thanks.
Although it's been crazy busy at work & at home I've been purchasing equipment upgrades and a new DAW to improve the quality and ability to record the music I've written and continue to write. I know some other songwriters that have some wonderful material but have always hesitated putting it out into the public forum in fear that someone will steal it. I too understand their apprehension but my sense of urgency desire to share with others the message I'm trying to convey in my songs triumphs those fears. We need to trust God that He'll give us the wisdom needed to timely put our songs in a place He that will please Him & bless others. I personally believe that God has used people on this site to help give wise council and relevant information so that we're equipped to do just that. God will bless us according to our obedience & the fruit of our labors will not go unrewarded. Thanks everyone here at CSA, God bless!

Jordan

RE: More advice needed - gdball - 02-15-2017

As far as song stealing... I'd be more worried about someone trying to claim that you "stole" something because you used a certain interval between notes in your melody, a certain chord change, or lyrical idea. The kinds of things that have hit Pharrel for example. Especially when your intent is to write for a certain genre - because that sort of automatically means that your song will have similarities to others in format, rhythm or feel. Anyone here ever write about faith, love, sin, etc? Ever use similar scripture or ideas from the Bible? Similar experiences? Ever use a common key that male/female singers like, base a melody around the root note of a key, put the snare on the backbeat... There are only 12 notes total, only 7 in a major key, and fewer still that work with a given chord.

The public says "Hey, those two do sound kinda similar, he must have stole it". And IMO its one of those things that seems on the surface to make sense but really doesn't. Or at least, no more sense than saying you stole "blue" from some master who used it before you when painting a sky. I think that's one of the most dangerous things in music right now. And it seems the best defense is going to be.... all the computers that are out there busily proving that just about every musical or lyrically idea has already been used at LEAST once a hundred or more years ago.

I'm careful not to dismiss it when I'm working with someone as I don't want them to take that as evidence that I do in fact want to steal.. But IMO the thing of most value can't be stolen, and the rest is derivative.

And no.. I've never been accused of stealing... so far I guess. Smile Actually my wife's first husband successfully received a settlement over the theme to "Hill Street Blues", so sure it happens - but I think it was more than anything just easier for the producers to make the question go away and not be bothered any more.

RE: More advice needed - michaelhanson - 02-15-2017

(02-15-2017, 03:17 PM)gdball Wrote: As far as song stealing...  I'd be more worried about someone trying to claim that you "stole" something......

Ya, I've always have to check all of the Tom Petty songs to make sure I don't hear a resemblance.   Big Grin

RE: More advice needed - ShannonB - 02-16-2017

Nope, not worried about stealing. For me it was more about branding, & I never even thought about that before one of my producers mentioned it. But the last guy I branded dropped the song & I'm struggling right now to get the producer to release the song to me. That's why I can't put it on soundcloud & it is in limbo until I can get someone else to do a new version.